Welcome Guest   ·   Login   ·   Register   ·   Member List

ADVERTISEMENT - LOG IN or REGISTER TO HIDE

1 of 2
6 year programs
Posted: 24 May 2007 07:31 AM  

So all the programs are seven or are soon switching to seven.
Which are still 6 now?  There’s rumor that UCSF is, but I can’t get any confirmation.  Jefferson’s already made the transition to 7. 
Is SUNY 6?
Duke is 6.

What else you guys know of?

Posted: 24 May 2007 09:14 AM  
Guest - 24 May 2007 07:31 AM

Which are still 6 now?  There’s rumor that UCSF is, but I can’t get any confirmation.  Jefferson’s already made the transition to 7. 
Is SUNY 6?
Duke is 6.

ucsf is not

Posted: 24 May 2007 05:39 PM  

Of the ones I interviewed at, Duke and UAB are 6.  Baylor just went to 7.

Posted: 24 May 2007 06:18 PM  
Total Posts  8
Joined  2007-03-26

I guess the trend is for the 6 year programs to switch over to 7 years. Guest, are you sure that Baylor has added a year? Guess their website might not be updated.

Posted: 24 May 2007 07:50 PM  

ive heard that about baylor as well

list is at:
duke
UAB
SUNY?

Posted: 24 May 2007 08:35 PM  

Baylor has definitely added the extra year, starting with the incoming class.  And yes, their website is really out of date.

Posted: 25 May 2007 07:11 AM  

Duke
UAB
Indiana
New York Med - Valhalla
?SUNY

Posted: 27 May 2007 08:45 AM  

U of AZ is 6 years.

Posted: 27 May 2007 09:30 AM  

Georgetown

Posted: 27 May 2007 12:11 PM  

in general, whats the difference between a 6yr vs. 7 yr, other than the duration.

is it a year less of research, or a year less of operating.

or are they not as glamorous as the other 7yr big hitters and try to entice candidates by shaving off a year?

Posted: 27 May 2007 06:18 PM  

It’s because of less built-in research time.  The ABNS has rules for what rotations residencies must have, which can be met in an intern year and 5 years of neurosurgery.  The programs that are seven years have either extra research time or allow the ability to do infolded fellowships, etc.

Posted: 27 May 2007 06:26 PM  
Guest - 27 May 2007 06:18 PM

It’s because of less built-in research time.  The ABNS has rules for what rotations residencies must have, which can be met in an intern year and 5 years of neurosurgery.  The programs that are seven years have either extra research time or allow the ability to do infolded fellowships, etc.

Spot on. For example, all canadian programs are 6 years long, and there’s not a mandatory full year of research, although some institutions put a lot of pressure on their residents to complete an extra year or 2 of research (Toronto comes to mind, then again, the number of MudPhuds they have is downright ridiculous).

Posted: 28 May 2007 05:38 PM  

what’s up with these canadian programs?  are US medical students allowed to go train at canada and return to practice here, or must we stay up over the border if we want to practice?

Posted: 30 May 2007 06:21 PM  
Total Posts  411
Joined  2007-02-27
Guest - 28 May 2007 05:38 PM

what’s up with these canadian programs?  are US medical students allowed to go train at canada and return to practice here, or must we stay up over the border if we want to practice?

No. People who began training in Canada after 1997 are not board-eligible per the ABNS. Some are here in academic positions. This is mostly because academic institutions, as a rule, are self-insured, and lack of board-eligibility precludes malpractice coverage from many carriers.

So you have to stay with the mooses and hockey players if you train there.

Posted: 30 May 2007 07:22 PM  
Guest - 24 May 2007 09:14 AM

Guest - 24 May 2007 07:31 AM
Is SUNY 6?
Duke is 6.

ucsf is not

I thought this was fairly basic but it seems like you dont quite get it… for the rest of you I apologize for explaining the obvious.
The big variable is the intern year.
A program may list itself as a 6- year program (e.g. UCSF) but in reality it takes 7 years (PGY2-7) to complete your training because they do not count the intern year as a neurosurgery year (PGY-1).  Other programs that have a built in intern year controlled by the department of neurosurgery list their training as 7 years (because they count their first year).  The other confusing program is Washington (seattle) which lists its program as a 7 year program but is really an 8 year program because the intern year is not counted.  In sum, most programs are 7.  When you look at web sites for depatments they usually have a “Curriculum” or some sort of explanation of year/year activities and they usually list these as PGY-X- that might help you have a better understanding of the length of the program- if you are still confused just email a resident… we all know the length of our servitude.  There are just a handful of the 6 years or 5 +1 out there left- good luck if that is what you are searching for.

Posted: 31 May 2007 06:48 AM  

congrats you are correct, but no one asked that question

1 of 2